11.19.2009

5,6,7,8

I have several adolescent-ish guilty pleasures, one of the main ones being that I love watching So you Think you Can Dance?

While I have been more loyal and dedicated to some seasons more than others, I really enjoyed season 5. So in pure teenage/groupie fashion I went to see the top 10 dancers live on tour with my friend Ally. We danced together back in the day, so it was only appropriate.



If you don't already know, all of the dances on the show are usually meant to express some sort of theme, or they are intended to tell of some kind of story that a choreographer envisions. Now I am not one to get emotional when it comes to interpretive dancing. Mainly because I rarely see or understand what the choreographer was intending to portray. (i.e. Melissa and Ade's Breast Cancer dance that everyone cried about. Don't get me wrong, it was a beautiful dance . . . but I still just don't see how it correlated!) But one dance in particular really moved me last season. I literally got goosebumps and a little misty-eyed when I first saw it, and again when I watched it live last week. Silly, I know. That is the first time a dance has ever done that to me.

This piece is about addiction and I find it so brilliantly powerful. Again, while I find most interpretative dances to be pretty abstract and out-there, I find this one to be very direct and moving, even if you aren't into dancing. The song is great as well.

I may also have a certain affinity for this dance seeing how addiction has impacted both of our families on several levels. I am pretty confident that if you haven't personally been affected by some sort of addiction, you will likely know someone who has and you can appreciate this dance:


Watch Lyrical Dance videos and dance lessons at DanceJam.com

6 comments:

Lindzie said...

Wow...very moving. Remember our old dancing days? I'm totally jealous you got to go to this... :)

Unknown said...

I went to their tour in SL!!! Loved it!

Niels and Susie Jensen said...

Lindzie, that is funny you mention good ol' days at Murphy School of Dance. I found Cheryl on Facebook yesterday.

Taylor and Melissa said...

I totally agree! That dance was beautiful. I think Kayla should have been the big winner. Just sayin...

Danica Osborn said...

new even before you'd said which one what dance you were talking about. i loved this one too-and get goosebumps every time i watch it--it's so powerful. his cahracter is so sinister and non-chalant about dragging her back again and again into his grip. still no stand out favorites for me this season...

Vanessa and Phillip said...

I LOVED this dance too! Thanks for posting the video so I could watch it again. It is so powerful. I love it!