2.04.2009

Dear Google, your new app scares me.

Dear Google,

You have improved my quality of life beyond measure, as well as the lives of all the other eleventy million people that use your clever applications every day. However, I feel the need to tell you that your new application is rather creepy and a bit stalker-ish.

Don't get me wrong, I love how I don't have to go on a daily wild goose chase to see if any of the sites I follow have new content. Google Reader is indeed a wonderful, and a time-efficient beast.

I also appreciate how I don't have to pay some 4-1-1 operator in a over-crowded call center in Dubai to tell me a phone number/address that I need while I am driving/running errands. I am betting all odds that I have used Text Google at LEAST once daily for the past two years or so. It's pure genius.

Google Maps - need I say more?

You know, I really like how I can securely store all my passwords, my budget and other juicy details in Google Docs and then I can selectively invite other peeps to access them.

And above all, I relish the fact that when I haven't heard of something, or I need to know ANYTHING about everything possible, I can have the faith that "Googling it" will never let me down.

You have so many revolutionary tools. But really, why did you create this one? Are you trying to be helpful to parents that want to manage the whereabouts of their teens. Or, perhaps as one article hypothesized, you built this so people would know if their spouse was cheating.

Well, whatever it was that made the light bulb go off in some executive Google app planning meeting last year - I just thought you should know that it gives me the heebie jeebies.

Sincerely,

Susie Jensen

5 comments:

Danica Osborn said...

holy crap that's scary. i hadn't heard about this. so creepy.

Berns and Shea said...

Dear Susie Jensen,
Please dont Google Latitude me as you will find I spend entirely too much time in the yogurt shops.

With Great Regards,
Shea Costa

jenorme said...

Amen, sister! I've seen the commercials and think they've crossed the privacy line this time.

jenorme said...

Amen, sister! I've seen the commercials and think they've crossed the privacy line this time.

Carol and Tyler said...

yeah, creep-a-lishious. Who would sign up to be cell-stalked??