I have found it very interesting and telling to hear what things or services some of my friends and family are cutting back on, or completely axing out of their budgets. I have learned that what is deemed as an absolute necessary/can’t live without thing or service on one persons list, can be a totally disposable or vain thing on another persons.
For example . . . my sister called me last month to inform me that she was getting rid of her cell phone completely. Thankfully her shenanigans only lasted 6 days. Then there is my friend who cut back on her cable package so she could keep her tanning membership. Another friend has to have her bi-monthly pedicure, but can't dish out the dough to go grab some lunch.
Let me be clear . . . I’m not judging here - I am simply noting that everyone has their own financial priorities and quirks, myself included!
I’m just saying that I could never get rid of my phone, and I am destined to be pasty for the rest of my life so I can live without the tanning membership. Sure I love a good pedicure, but I enjoy a few good lunches a LOT more.
I'm sure there are some of you that might look at the things that we have chosen to ax and retain in our budget and could feel differently.
- Cut Fancy Cable
- Cut Internet (share with neighbors)
- Cut caller ID (this one is killing me)
- Eliminated soda runs
- I give Niels his haircuts (double standard - this won’t be working both ways)
- I have turned into that annoying lady in front of you at checkout with all the coupons
- I don’t go into Target without an action plan or list.
- Didn’t renew my Costco membership (again, killing me)
- Got rid of the kitten
- I have been very creative with the dusty cans and boxes in our pantry
- Thermostat is kept at 81 in this Vegas summer (poor Niels)
Sticking around (for now) :
- Cell phones
- Gym membership
- PEST CONTROL – especially after Jen’s run-in last week!
- Nice-ish shampoo & conditioner
- Nice-ish toilet paper
- Fresh produce
- My hair cuts