8.31.2009

Skipping Town

We skipped town and spent a few days in San Diego last week. We didn't do the Zoo, the Animal Kingdom or the whole Sea World thing. Perhaps when the kids come along down the road, but we only had a few days and didn't want to battle the summer crowds and the overpriced admissions.

Instead we just bummed around and relaxed. Neither of us have been to San Diego a ton, so we really enjoyed exploring and walking around. Personally, I am a big fan of their downtown Gaslamp District. It was lively and hopping, but not overly crowded like New York. It was also nice and refreshing not to have SMUT in your face everywhere you turned.

We didn't take a ton of pictures, but here are a few:

Kayaking the La Jolla Caves




You can see the sea lions behind us


It was pretty cool to see these sea lions up close. We were actually right next to them but I couldn't take my camera with me on the Kayak, so I went back after and got an aerial shot.



We also saw dolphins and leopard sharks right next to us. To be honest, I was freaked out by the sharks a little and our guide picked up on it. Apparently I don't hide fear very well. So he reassured me that they were "bottom feeders" and didn't want to eat me. Riiiiiiight.


Waiting for the sun to burn off the clouds at Mission Beach, but it never did. So much for tanning.




Niels has decided what he wants to put in our future backyard. No big deal, just a surfing simulator machine. We watched the qualifying event they had going on for the "Flowrider World Championships" in Singapore this fall. What if your title was Flowrider Champion of the World?





We went to Old Town for some authentico Mexican Food and toured around for a bit. My favorite part of the day was going inside the old dental office. As we were walking out some woman shrieked "I absolutely hate dentists!" I'm guessing that Niels will have to get used to that becasue many people share that same sentiment.

Padres Game






This picture is mostly for Becca and Jen. Basically I hate wearing athletic shoes with jeans! It feels so wrong and tacky, but desperate times called for desperate measures!




Niels was a fantastic sport with me being overly fixated with winning tickets to see Wicked again. We tried all three days, but had no luck. He vows never to do dumb lotteries again.

2 comments:

Carol and Tyler said...

I think you're more likely to have the title "broken neck champion of the world" instead of flowrider. Those guys make it look easy but i've never been so close to being in a wheelchair for all eternity (not by my own choice :)) looks like an awesome trip!

elopingcamel said...

I just found your blog so sorry for overwhelming it with all my creepy, stalker posts (Niels is soooo hot!), but I thought I'd let you know that my wife Sierra and I saw a sea lion on our honeymoon in the Baja gulf (San Felipe to be exact). We were swimming when all of a sudden a massive head poked itself out of the water about ten feet away from us. My first thought was "I should go pet that thing." Sierra's first thought was, "Sea lion. Lions eat people. RUN!" (or SWIM!, if you require that I be "PC" on your blog)
Sigh. I'll always regret not making friends with that guy.